- Cityscape illustration native .ai file due. Submit to Instructor Server (icon on desktop)/smansfield/Dropbox as “Lastname1A.ai”.
- Tutorial from last week. Submit .ai file titled “LastName_Lesson_1.ai”. Submit to Instructor Server (icon on desktop)/smansfield/Dropbox.
Shut down Illustrator. Open up system preferences. Open up Displays- second row. Choose “scaled” Change screen resolution to 1600 x 900.
Each row of students exchange contact info- one email chain? A shared file? a piece of paper photocopied? (You can use the photocopier/b&w printer at the cage. Use the resource of your fellow student to catch up, study, pass on information, etc.
Get to know your cohort.
2A In class exercise
We can learn much about how artwork is constructed in Illustrator by taking apart existing vector art.
The Symbols Panel (Window menu/Symbols) gives us access to libraries of artwork which comes with Illustrator.
We will access the libraries of symbols from the Symbols panel menu (on the top right of the panel).
Pull out symbols onto the artboard.
Select a symbol and go to the Object menu/Expand.
Ungroup it (Object menu/ ungroup or (⌘-shift G).
Deselect (⌘-shift D), then select the parts of the artwork. Dissect it.
Pencil tool (N), reshaping review.
Creating line quality with the Width Tool (shift-W).
Isolation mode. Getting out of Isolation mode (esc).
Controlling Isolation mode in the Preferences panel.
Make visible from the Window menu
Adding with Union, and subtracting with Subtract, Divide
Grouping (⌘-G) and Ungrouping (⌘-U)
Eyeball illustration. Star tool. Command freezes inner points. Option resets to make star ‘fat’.
Adding colors to the Swatches panel. Using the Eyedropper (I) tool to sample color
Selection and Direct Selection tools and concept.
Hide Edges: c⌘-H.
Select Tool (Solid Arrow) V
Duplicate Object/Group Option Drag with the Select Tool (Solid Arrow
Direct Selection Tool (Hollow Arrow) A
Deselect ⌘ Shift A
Free Transform Tool E
Show Rulers ⌘R
Livepaint objects, selecting and applying color to intersecting shapes.
Redrawing livePaint objects. Expanding Livepaint objects (Object menu/Expand).
For more information, login to VTC Tutorials then use this link: LivePaint
Submit your 2A file to Instructor Server (icon on desktop)/smansfield/Dropbox as directed in class for credit.
Create a self portrait using the vector tools shown in class. You may, if you prefer, place a raster image of yourself and trace/translate it into vector form (no live tracing).
Your native illustrator file will be 8.5″ x 11″. It may be in portrait (8.5″ x 11″) or landscape (11″ x 8.5″) format.
It must have a 1″ margin. but it must use a clipping path to maintain a 1″ margin.
Your image is the figure. The background must be designed. It may be a pattern or non-objective, it may include space- a landscape.
Links Panel. Embedding.
File menu/Package. This saves out a folder. In that package folder will be copies of the fonts used and the images that have been placed.
Work in class on your self portrait project. It doesn’t need to be photorealistic. It can be expressive. Play hard!
After 9 pm, Submit your 2B Package folder titled “Lastname2B”to Instructor Server (icon on desktop)/smansfield/Dropbox as directed in class for credit.
Refer to Class Schedule: Due Week 4
Available to all Seattle Public Library card holders for free. Link in sidebar/resources.
Available to all King County Public Library card holders for free. Link in sidebar/resources.
- Work on your Vector Self Portrait outside of class.
Native Package folder due in two weeks, beginning of class titled “Lastname_self_portrait”.
- Textbook assignment. Do the lesson “2 TECHNIQUES FOR SELECTING ARTWORK” pages. Bring the finished .ai file to class next week to submit for credit titled “Lastname_Lesson_2.ai”. 2 pts.
- Watch: The Adobe Illustrator Story. What are the key takeaways from this video? Write 3 multiple choice quiz questions (and answers) related to these important points. in a Word document as titled “Lastname_video_questions.doc”. 2 pts
- Next week: A multiple choice or fill in the blank quiz will be administered at the beginning of class next week. Quizzes are administered at the first 15 minutes of class and may not be made up. Arrive on time in order to take the quiz and earn the 1 point. Quizzes are open book, screen, computer. They are not open discussion.